Summer Make-up Routine
My love for make-up is fairly recent. I have worn foundation and simple eye make-up for a long time, but it’s only in the last year or so that I’ve started being more interested in cosmetics such as blushes and lip colours. What went on to become a tiny obsession with both of these things (and skincare products) is the culprit for this seemingly constant hole in my wallet. When I’m not whining over how quickly my disposable income vanishes, I tell myself that it is all necessary in order for me to figure out the look I want to go for and stick to. Well, at least, until something new and cool and delightful gets released, then I might cheat a little bit on my favourite products and play with new ones, but I digress.
Now that summer has come, I realized that make-up routine differs this season. Thanks to a recent short trip to Florida, I was able to tan a little more than usual. So, while in the winter I use a lot of blush (I just really love blush), I found myself focusing on highlighting when the sun is out. This new, dare I say, golden glow — a term I never thought I’d use to describe my skin, how exciting! — looks best with just a little shimmer on the cheekbones. So here is my summer make-up routine.
- L’Oreal Paris Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer I apply this a little bit on my cheekbones and a little under my brows before applying my foundation. I have the impression that it helps the powder highlight stand out more, but I am not quite sure if it really is that effective or how it fares by itself. I am reluctant to use this all over my face because I can get pretty oily.
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in St Moritz Still loving this tinted moisturizer, a few months after my inital review. I had to buy it in one shade darker for summer, so I better not tan any more, hah! Because this TM has SPF 30 and PA++, I don’t feel the need to wear sunscreen underneath. It also has a perfect dewy finish.
- Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in Sand 7 A new found love, this concealer is waterproof and stays put for hours. My previous concealer, the Diorskin Nude Skin Perfecting Hydrating Concealer, didn’t cake but it never really dried either, even with powder on top. I don’t have that problem with this MUFE concealer! A tiny pea-sized dot can be used to cover all my blemishes. I also put a little bit on the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them up.
- Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder This powder is so finely milled that it’ll never look cakey or chalky. I apply liberally on my T-zone and I touch up once during office hours.
- NARS Highlighting Blush in Albatross My fling for this summer! There is a small amount of glitter in this, so it can look really bad if you put a bit too much, but a quick brushing on looks great. I use my Everyday Minerals Tapered Sculpting Face Brush to apply this on my cheekbones and an eyeshadow brush to highlight my brow bone. I love this so much that I just can’t wait to put it on in the morning.
It sounds like a lot for summer, especially with the risk of having the make-up melt off due to sweating, but unless there’s scorching heat — in which case I step out of the house with only moisturizer and sunscreen on my face, flawless-looking skin be damned — I have found this to be pretty low maintenance! I pat on a little bit of powder on the nose during the day and I am otherwise fine. I love it.
Does your summer make-up routine differ from your winter one?
Beauty, Makeup, Myself